Silky tofu was sitting at my fridge for a month or so. Once I tried it – that was enough (honestly, absolutely not my taste). So, another package was in a fridge as like forever. Until I was inspired by the mayo recipe by Princess Rosebud on Enchanted Seashells: https://enchantedseashells.com/2020/12/24/easy-vegan-mayo/?unapproved=35383&moderation-hash=4ccd6bde2b0eb6835d0c691c69d7f0d0#comm…
We communicated about the recipe, and my only concern was about the mustardy taste of mayo. Hmm.. Is it mustard or mayo?.. So I went into experiments and improved a preparation process. See the results!
Passive time: –
Active time: 10 min
Equipment: immersion blender
|silken tofu||300 g||1.5 cup|
|olive oil||2 Tbsp||2 Tbsp|
|lemon juice||1 Tbsp||1 Tbsp|
|sea salt (to your taste)||0.5 tsp||0.5 tsp|
|horseradish, fresh or spice powder / fresh minced garlic||1-5 Tbsp||1-5 Tbsp|
How to make it:
- Place olive oil, lemon juice and salt in the cup of an immersion blender and blend until smooth
- As you blend olive oil with lemon juice first, it gets blended well, much better if when combining all ingredients, including tofu, at once
- Add silken tofu and 2-3 Tbsp of grated horseradish (or 1 Tbsp of horseradish spice powder or minced garlic)
- I add more fresh horseradish so that the taste to be really sharp. This avoids to put a mayo in enormous quantities on everything, but just some of it:)
- Garlic is another version, taste really good. The only reason why I personally prefer a horseradish version is that garlic is a nervous stimulant and should not be eaten daily.
- I have also tried to make it with mashed dried tomatoes in oil, but the result was a bit messy and not very attractive to taste
Tofu mayo with unique and memorable taste is ready! It should look exactly like mayo and spread easily
It is probably that there are plenty of tofu mayo versions, but the first I faced with was from Enchanted Seashells. Many many thanks to Princess Rosebud for the inspiration!
Further reading about garlic:
Prophylactic self-isolation for Mister Garlic exaltation. Day 62nd.
If you like recipes on this site, you can get more from my first cookbook
Festive, Sugar-free Recipes for Almost Vegans
FESTIVE, SUGAR-FREE RECIPES FOR ALMOST VEGANS: 25 delicious vegan / vegetarian dishes including desserts, appetizers, mocktails, salads, soups and second meals by Dr. Alisa Palatronis
One thought on “Tofu Mayo with Horseradish or Garlic”