Snacks may be prepared for hours and be eaten in minutes. That is why I make a double portion at once. From the other hand, it is a good idea to avoid snacking. I use this particular nut snack as a component for the tomato/avocado appetizer on weekends (photo at the end of this post).
A few important thoughts before we start:
- Nuts for any snacks (or any other food) should be soaked in advance. Otherwise one may face with digestion disorders. Wise people always soak the nuts, even if it seems time consuming
- This recipe contains maple syrup (as a sweet ingredient, however, it does not appear as a sweet snack at the end). Anyway, I am thinking to replace maple syrup with olive oil for the next time.
Recipe of nut snack
Before you start (more info on a page 2)
8 h + 2 h
For note: 8 h for soaking seeds + 2 h for drying seeds in an oven
Basic rule: before you start you may wash/clean and drain/dry vegetables, herbs, fruits and other ingredients when needed
|pumpkin seeds||280 g||2 cups|
|sunflower seeds||260 g||1 cups|
|white sesame seeds||70 g||0.5 cup|
|smoked paprika||4 Tbsp||4 Tbsp|
|galangal (optional)||2 tsp||2 tsp|
|maple syrup (or olive oil)||4-5 Tbsp||4-5 Tbsp|
|salt||1-2 tsp||1-2 tsp|
|water, purified||2 Tbsp||2 Tbsp|
How to make it:
- Soak seeds for at least 8 h or overnight. Soak each type of seeds in a separate bowl or jar
- After soaking, drain the seeds, spread on a baking trays covered with baking paper and dry in an oven at 100 C / 212 F for 1 – 1.5 h: 1 cup of wet seeds to one medium-size standard baking tray. You may open an oven door a bit if you see there is too much moist on it
- In a mixing bowl, combine dried seeds, maple syrup (or olive oil), salt and water and toss it well
- Again, spread the mixture on a baking trays covered with baking paper and dry at 100 C / 212 F for around 30-40 min until moisture evaporates.
For this appetizer, cut tomato/avocado in half and add some nutty snack to each part. It is ready, enjoy!
You may form a decorative flowers from veggies: tomato
Tomato & avocado appetizer with a nut snack inside. Good to go at the weekend!
Please take a look into my cookbook “Festive, Sugar-Free Recipes for Almost Vegans”
Images and text © Dr. A. Palatronis / www.z-antenna.com