Sometimes I also lazy. Lazy to cook but hungry. If so, then it is a good idea to have a few recipes which require less efforts to make but bring huuge satisfaction. And here is one of it – my falafel with pumpkin!
The recipes I post here on my blog – I use them all. And because more and more of them appear in my mind and in my kitchen – naturally, it is not possible to remember all the details of each particular recipe.
My reader, I need to say I also read my blog! So, today’s recipe is just to remind myself how to make crunchy on top and soft from inside falafel from commercially available falafel mix without frying in tons of oil!
In this recipe I use falafel mix bought at a grocery store. It contains chickpea flour (55%), dried ground fava beans (30%) – my favorite:), spices 13% (in varying proportions: coriander, fennel, Roman cumin, dill, ground garlic, ground onion, parsley), salt. Salt concentration is 0.7 g per 100 g of a product, which is great, because not over salted.
Before you start (more info on a page 2)
30 min + 40 min
falafel scoop maker or ice-cream scoop spoon, small size (optional)
For note: 30 min are necessary to soak dry falafel mix in water; 40 min – for baking
Basic rule: before you start you may wash/clean and drain/dry vegetables, herbs, fruits and other ingredients when needed
|falafel mix||200 g / 2 bags||0.44 lbs / 2 bags|
|water||200 ml||1 cup|
|pumpkin flesh||200 g||0.44 lbs|
|olive oil||2 Tbsp||2 Tbsp|
|vegetables, fresh, for serving; any of your choice (I choose radishes, cucumbers, bell pepper, salad leaves)||any amount you wish||any amount you wish|
|mustard, horseradish sauce for serving||2-3 Tbsp||2-3 Tbsp|
For note: This falafel is made from commercial falafel mix. Inside my falafel mix box there are two portion bags, each of them is 100 g
How to make it
- Put falafel mix (the content of of 2 bags) in a bowl
- Add 200 ml of warm water, mix well and leave for 30 min
- Meanwhile grate pumpkin flesh using side 3 (shred) of a grater (the meaning of grater sides maybe found on page 2) and mix with falafel mixture while it still sitting on a counter
- Preheat an oven to 130 C / 260 F; fan oven regime (see page 2 for more info)
- Form the falafel-pumpkin paste into small ball using a teaspoon (or use ice-cream scoop as I do). Moisten your hands and tools with water if necessary so that the mixture would not stick to them
- Put falafels on an oven tray (or grill pan rack tray as I use) covered with a baking paper and bake for 30 min
- After baking 30 min take a tray out and grease each falafel with olive oil
- Put a tray back into an oven and bake for remaining 10 min
- Serve with fresh vegetables; mustard and/or horseradish sauce and ENJOY!
Just for my own curiosity, I found YouTube videos showing how falafels could be shaped and made (not sponsored as usually:)
One could use a falafel scoop maker at home
Some options where to buy falafel tools (affiliate links)
Professional falafel toolStöckel Stainless Steel Professional Falafel Scoop Maker, Large
The versatile tool I use for falafel and many other things at my kitchen!Stainless Steel Ice Cream Scoop,Ice Cream Scoop Set,Cookie Scoop set,ice cream scooper with trigger 18/8 Stainless Steel Ice Cream Scoop Include Large-Medium-Small Size (3 pcs set)
Disclosure: #CommissionsEarned. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Images and text © Dr. A. Palatronis / www.z-antenna.com