Have you got a daily dose of sulforaphane this autumn? What??? I mean, radish, broccoli, cabbage…
Sulforaphane is a powerful Nature’s tool to:
- Stimulates immune system (1, 2)
- Shows potential in dealing with cancer, including breast and prostate cancers (3)
- Plays a protective role against vascular complications – heart diseases (4)
- Shows antidiabetic effects (4)
- Protects skin against UV radiation damage (5)
- May protect against brain (nerves) damage and autism (6, 7)
Lots of vegetables, appearing in autumn, contain sulforaphane. Isn’t it a Nature’s help-hand to let us be more resistant towards colder weather? I guess so:)
Vegetables containing sulforaphane:
- Bok choy
Before you start (more info on a page 2)
For note: 4-8 h in passive time are needed for apples and grapefruits to stay on a counter (only if they were in a refrigerator). In this way, when fruits or some vegetables are exposed to room temperature they become sweeter
Basic rule: before you start you may wash/clean and drain/dry vegetables, herbs, fruits and other ingredients
|apple||2 small or 1 big||2 small or 1 big|
For note: for apples – cut of the hard middle core with seeds before juicing
How to make it?
Just juice it and strain! Actually, I feel only the taste of grapefruit and apple, so, radish with its fantastic guard properties comes easy!
- Thejass P and Kuttan G. Immunomodulatory activity of Sulforaphane, a naturally occurring isothiocyanate from broccoli (Brassica oleracea). Phytomedicine 2007; 14: 538-545.
- Suganuma H, Fahey JW, Bryan KE, et al. Stimulation of phagocytosis by sulforaphane. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2011; 405: 146-151.
- Sarkar R, Mukherjee S, Biswas J, et al. Sulphoraphane, a naturally occurring isothiocyanate induces apoptosis in breast cancer cells by targeting heat shock proteins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2012; 427: 80-85.
- Yamagishi S and Matsui T. Protective role of sulphoraphane against vascular complications in diabetes. Pharm Biol 2016; 54: 2329-2339.
- Talalay P, Fahey JW, Healy ZR, et al. Sulforaphane mobilizes cellular defenses that protect skin against damage by UV radiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2007; 104: 17500-17505.
- Singh K, Connors SL, Macklin EA, et al. Sulforaphane treatment of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2014; 111: 15550-15555.
Before you start
// time before, during or after food preparation when no action is needed (e.g., soaking, sprouting, freezing) //
// factual time spent in a kitchen for preparation (e.g., cutting, washing, boiling, crashing, mixing) //
// specific kitchen equipment, like food processor, blender, etc Regular kitchenware like pots, spoons or knifes is not listed here //
// approximate amount of servings, because everything depends on how much we are willing to eat:) //
|cup||US measuring cup, equal to 240 ml of water|
You may find the meaning of oven symbols on internet (external link) Our Easy Guide to 10 Common Oven Symbols & Functions
How To Use All 4 Sides Of Your Box Grater (external link)