One of the most famous dishes of Ukrainian cuisine is borscht – a soup made mainly with beetroots, which give the dish its distinctive red color. These days vegan versions are already available, just search on internet.
My recipe is something different. Vegetable ingredients are similar to those like in a traditional borscht, however, the liquid is missed! That is why I call it dry borscht! In fact, it is a salad from hot baked veggies.
It is not an attempt to transform traditional carnivore version to vegan style, no! I just use beetroots my way:)
Before you start (more info on a page 2)
For note: 20 min in passive time are needed for baking
Basic rule: before you start you may wash/clean and drain/dry vegetables, herbs, fruits and other ingredients when needed
|beetroots||4 small / 400 g||4 small / 14 oz|
|carrot||1 piece / 100 g||1 piece / 3.5 oz|
|parsley root||1 / 100 g||1 piece / 3.5 oz|
|sweet green peas, frozen of fresh||100-150 g||100-150 g|
|olive oil||2 Tbsp||2 Tbsp|
For note: choose firm small or medium-sized beetroots as they rich in color and nutritional value; avoid big beetroots as they are overgrown, will contain less flavor and be harder to chew.
Carrot and parsley roots should also be firm and nice looking.
Never use half-withered, half-worthless veggies for any dish!
How to make it:
- You may slice all veggies using most overlooked, the largest horizontal holes of a grater box (side 1)
- or shred it using the most famous part of a grater box with bigger holes (side 4)
- preheat oven till 180 C / 350 F, spread veggies evenly on a baking paper and bake for 25 min (sliced veggies) or 15-20 min (shredded, smaller veggies)
- When 10 min before the end of baking left – put a small heat-resistant bowl with oil and spices in an oven
- If using frozen peas – put it into hot water for 5 min and drain
- Cut dill
- Combine baked veggies, peas and dill in a serving bowl, serve oil with spices separately. It is ready!
You may like my other recipes with beetroots too!:
Images and text © Dr. A. Palatronis / www.z-antenna.com
7 thoughts on “Dry borscht / Prophylactic self-isolation series. Day 237th.”